Sunday, January 23, 2011

Finished my first Hooked Rug!!!


FINALLY!!! Years ago for a Christmas gift, my husband purchased this rug as a kit! Meaning the strips were already cut and all I needed to do was begin hooking! I started out using a large hoop but it soon became hard to keep it tight so I put it away for a while! A couple of years later he purchased me a nice hooking frame so I was able to get back to work! No more excuses.... right! It still took me a couple of years........ only getting it out to work on during the winter and in between crafting!


If it wasn't for Kathy~Rugs of Mine... in Time I still probably wouldn't have it finished!!! I found her blog about a year ago and noticed she lived in a nearby town and was talking about a hook-in at a local wool shop!!! Oh my gosh I found heaven!!! The place is Grant Street WoolWorks in Chambersburg, PA! Kathy works there and every Thursday they have a hook-in! Linda, the owner and Kathy are so helpful and willing to share their expertise on hooking!!! I had no idea if I was doing this hooking correctly .......so it was so nice to be able to take it to them and get advice! Kathy showed me how to finish the edges and I'm very thankful for that!! The designer of the rug is Laurice Heath and it was dated 2000!


I hope to make more time for myself this year and attend more hook-ins so my next project doesn't take as long to complete! With the help of Kathy I picked out some of the wonderful wools in the shop and have the strips ready to go!

I'm going to make a chair pad for this antique rocking chair that has been in my husbands family for a long time! I'm going to design this one myself so hopefully it won't take too long to get started! I will keep you posted!!!

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful job...good for you!! Looking forward to seeing the chair pad when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! You amaze me with your talent. I can't wait to see the chair pad!
    ~~Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Teresa!

    I've finished 1 small piece and am working on a chair pad, I love hooking, just haven't been making time for it. It is such a beautiful art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Teresa! Looking forward to seeing the one you design for the chair, I am sure it will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, Teresa! I would love to learn how to hook. Congratulations on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! How nice you have some place to go and get helpful advice too! I have a design all draw out and was planning tio start 2 weeks ago with Audrey (she has the wool cutter and there is no shop close to me) but she was sick, then last week a blizzard so I HOPE to start this Thursday - though another blizzard is on the way.

    Looking forward to seeing the chair pad!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Can't wait to see the chair pad. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a beautiful job! I just love a crow! I remember that my first project-a kit-took forever, too. But, once you tackle the first one, the rest are easier. I look forward to charting the progress with you on the chair pad.
    Happy Hooking,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful !!! You will be pumping those rugs out one after the other in no time !! I would so love to come down and do a hook in with you and Kathy sometime.... I can't wait to see what you come up with for your next rug !! Be proud of yourself...greta job !!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teresa, Your rug hooking adventure is similar to mine. I took one class and wasn't overly impressed. I tried again a few years ago and really liked it. I think the pressure was off me at home! Your piece turned out very nice - can't wait to see the chair pad - LOVE the colors. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you took up the hook again! You created a beautiful rug!
    I'll bet you feel a great sense of satisfaction on finishing it!
    I love the colors you've selected for your next project.
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you, it's wonderful, you should be very proud, kudos! Will you plz send some of that good karma my way? My wool basket gets fuller each day, hoping to become a new hooker in the Spring:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go Teresa!! Woooo Hoooo! I'm doing the happy dance for ya :).
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your chair pad, and I sure hope you come back when you have the time to one of the hook-ins at Linda's shop! Your rug really looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy you found a place to go and hook. It is so much fun to get help and to be able to see what everyone else is doing.
    I love rug hooking.
    I also love the crow and flag.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Teresa your first rug turned out awesome girl. So glad you found a close by rug shop. Those can be hard to find girl. Congrates and keep on hooking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. your first rug turned out great... good job. Can't wait to see your next creation.
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Teresa ~
    What a fantastic job on your first rug! Grant Street sounds like a wonderful place. So much talent at their weekly hook-ins. I wish I could join them, too, but the commute would be a bit much :)
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That's excellent work for your first rug! How wonderful to join a hook-in and get so much helpful advice. We have the privilege of owning my husband's grandmothers rocker and I would love to have a pad for it but I'm not brave enough to make my own, haha! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous I love that look.
    Am following your Blog now as I want to see the Chair Pads when you did them:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your first hooked rug!?! That's pretty darn tooting good, Teresa!

    I think it's so great that you were able to meet someone in person that you found online, and that she was able to hook you up (pardon the pun) to others who are into hooking. That's so neat! I wish I had artisans nearby.

    Thanks for linking up to the Prairie Patch party!

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow what a very nice first piece! Hubby knew you had talent didn't he? I am sure he was impressed when you finished it. LOL Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stumbled upon your blog via Perfectly Prim Party, such a lovely rug! My husband is from Shippensburg but we are stationed in OK at an Air Force base. I love visiting PA, so much prim inspiration. Happy to be a new follower. :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Love your rug. Beautiful job!! Do you know how I could get a pattern of the crow with flag? My name is Brenda Mustain and e-mail is mustain@embarqmail.com A friend has been looking for this pattern

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Hope you are having a wonderful day!